Happy new year, people. It’s 2016 now. Make it a successful, loving, caring, and meaningful one.
Since the server is back online (still going strong) WordPress began to nag me again about a new version being available 😛 So I decided to upgrade. WordPress itself and 3 plugins. Worked like a charm. No hangs or freezes. Yay! Guess buying new memory for the server will be on my to-do list right after Christmas.
The server is having problems. Installed an extra NIC, to rule out problems with the onboard NIC, but that didn’t solve the problem. Removed the memory DIMMs now, and replaced them with two out of my desktop machine, since that had 4x4G and I don’t really use it at the moment. So they both now have 8GB internal memory. The desktop memory is Corsair Vengeance, the server memory was some value ram. Hopefully the Vengeance dimms will solve the system freezes.
As .NET developers we all know the problem: an external library/framework comes in an x86 and in an x64 flavor, so referencing one excludes building for the other and vice versa. Here’s an excellent blog post how to solve that. What surprises me, is that this post is from 2010, and Visual Studio still does not support referencing both platforms in one go.
When you are a developer, you probably know this problem: you need to send mails from your application, but you cannot just use your company’s mailserver for developing/testing purposes. So you end up using Gmail or even installing a mailserver on your development PC.
When you’re using Windows, you probably don’t need to. There is this great *free* tool that enables you to receive mail via SMTP. It does not send mail, but you can view what the mailmessage was, including a option to view the headers etc. It’s called Papercut. It hides conveniently in your system tray. Go check it out!
Yesterday my server, or to be exact: my domain, was unavailable. I completely missed the expiration emails I received, and did not renew the domain on time. That results in the domain being put in quarantine. But I choose DirectNIC for a reason: they are professional and they are quick. So after contacting them and explaining the situation, paying the neccessary fees and boom….within two hours (including the email exchange and lifting the quarantine status and paying for the whole shebang) my domain is back up again.
Thank you DirectNIC. I’ll be more careful next time (next year!).
This week I bought StarCraft II: The Complete Edition. Did some campaign in Wings of Liberty and Heart of the Swarm, had an Archon session with my colleague, and today I finally won a 1VAI game, albeit a “very easy” one. But that’s my level at the moment.
To get better, I need to practice. A lot. It’s not like Diablo3 in which your heroes get more powerful by getting better gear, it is me that has to improve. What do I need to build. When do I need to build it. When can I attack. What do I do when I am under attack. And most of all, I need to do that by keyboard preferably, not by clicking around in the build menus.
For now I like the Zerg the most, but I’m warned that it is a difficult race to deal with. One of the advantages is that the larvae can mutate into just about anything, but overall Zerg needs a lot of (micro)managing.
So….practice, practice, practice. And set realistic goals. Play 5 times per day is realistic. Win 5 times a day is not.
Update: just had another win. Ultralisks are nice creatures.
The default Oracle 12c database installation (that a lot of developers will use without going into the advanced setup) is a bit strict. For instance you can’t just create users that don’t comply to the user naming policies. But what about “sys” or “system”? They don’t comply either!
Add the following to your script:
alter session set "_ORACLE_SCRIPT"=true;
Things should work now. Basically you’re acting like you’re an Oracle supplied script now. And we know the rules don’t apply to Oracle, right?
ulimit -n you can see what the maximum number of open files can be. As superuser you can change that -per session- with the ulimit command, but an ordinary user can not do that. Therefore, you need to change the /etc/security/limits.conf file. For instance:
* soft nofile 10000
* hard nofile 10000
Meaning that the hard and soft limit are now increased to 10000. I didn’t know that this does not change the limits for the superuser. The asterisk (*) is not intended to change superuser limits. Instead, repeat both lines, changing the asterisk to the word root. You might need a reboot for that, but that’s all.
I needed this for Neo4j and was surprised to see that normal users could have more open files than the superuser. No more, I say, no more!