I was frustrated about not having Firefox 4 on my desktop, so last week I decided to upgrade OpenSuSE. I still used 11.2, so I figured I’d upgrade in two steps. First to 11.3, second to 11.4.
The upgrade to 11.3 went rather smoothly, apart from the fact that I did forget to include the NVidia repositories, so I did not get X up and running the first time. No biggie.
The upgrade to 11.4 should be simpler, I guessed, since I just succesfully upgraded to 11.3. To my surprise, I could not even get the system booted. The problem? For some reason my drives all got mixed up, so the /dev/sd[abcde] references where all wrong. What I eventually ended up doing, was a cat from the grub/menu.lst, sed-ing the correct /dev/disk/by-id-references in it, so it booted. Next I could “vi” my fstab, and changed all the references there. Reboot again. Pffffff….. Now it works.
Couple of things though. To use samba-shares, in 11.4 you have to disable Novell’s AppArmor, since there seems to be a bug that effects samba.
Another thing is the squeezebox server software. I had to actually uninstall and reinstall (a newer version while at it) it, to get it working again.
VMPlayer needed a higher version as well, but that was not a problem at all.
So, I now run 11.4.